For the past three weeks, the boy has been counting down the days until Earth to Echo hit theaters, which he constantly reminded me was on July 2. We got around to seeing the flick today.
I didn’t know anything about the movie beforehand except that it was basically E.T. for the selfie age. Even the movie poster is a direct rip-off of the much-better original alien-who-wants-to-go-home movie. The folks at Relativity shoulda also warned peeps that the entire movie was shot using a nausea-inducing faux-handheld camera technique. If E.T. and The Blair Witch Project had a threesome with the original Clash of the Titans’ mechanical owl, then they woulda made a baby named Earth to Echo. True story.
While the boy thoroughly enjoyed the movie and gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up, I pretty much spent 90 minutes desperately trying not to vomit in my mouth. The visual effects are awight, but the fake camcorder-slash-fake Google Glass shots were just Too Damned Much. I still feel like I wanna barf.
If you’re inclined to, you know, think about dramaturgy and narrative coherence, Earth to Echo will only add to your feelings of nausea. If you’re, like, 10 years old or younger, you’ll probably lurve the movie.
Almost everything about the storyline is contrived and there’s nothing to suggest why any of the lead characters in the movie felt any real connection or friendship with the alien owl-robot except for the fact that the alien owl-robot is super-kawaii. Like, the alien robot-owl was so totes adorbz and stuff!!! I can’t wait to buy alien robot-owl shizz!!! But I digress.
Busy daddy said he was just waiting for the characters at the end of the movie to tell the alien owl-robot that he was “the best friend they’ve ever had, sad face” for no reason whatsoever. Earth to Echo is formulaic pablum of the most cynical kind, squarely aimed at impressionable kids who wanna believe that Friendship Is Everything and All Grownups and Parents Are Morons.
Gosh, I don’t wanna be Debbie Downer cuz clearly it’s great whenever Hollywood producers make movies aimed at families and kids. But it would be nice if Hollywood producers didn’t pander to the least common denominator and treated moviegoers of all ages like we had ideas and stuff floating around our noggins.
The boy’s grade for Earth to Echo: A+
Lazy dad’s grade for Earth to Echo: F-minus
- hiddlespoonington likes this
- lovingmylense likes this
- animeguyswithlonghairmakemehappy likes this
- pikajade13 likes this
- guardian-of-legends likes this
- electradaddy said: I have no desire to see it but my kids are forcing us to take them to see it in about two hours. Did the movie studio do secret in-school marketing across the country or something?
- electradaddy likes this
- beforefriday reblogged this from lazydad
- buhdsfuidhfs said: This was hilarious
- photosbykime likes this
- unrelentingoptimist said: Great review!
- unrelentingoptimist likes this
- bakingmiraclepeace likes this
- photolodico likes this
- doctom666 likes this
- oursarah likes this
- thebearandpeanut likes this
- lifeloveandjonah likes this
- midwestern-momma likes this
- breakthecitysky likes this
- un likes this
- shoeshine4242 reblogged this from wellthatsjustgreat
- shoeshine4242 likes this
- iamradness likes this
- northernmomma likes this
- tacosaysroar likes this
- abraxein likes this
- 4hourfearlessleader reblogged this from wellthatsjustgreat
- seeyouloveyoubeyou likes this
- briarthorne likes this
- idratherbewiththedogs likes this
- cajunmmb said: Ty! I’ll send the mother in law to this one😉
- cajunmmb likes this
- imagooseberry likes this
- not-the-mom likes this
- clownypantsspanglybrains likes this
- leaf07 likes this
- allefory likes this
- thecynicalcrayon likes this
- ifjanetranit likes this
- ckharlan66 likes this
- buhdsfuidhfs likes this
- mommyakajenna said: I’m so glad you posted this. Marking it off the list now.
- mommyakajenna likes this
- robins-nest likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this