For roughly a week, busy daddy and I had the privilege of being daddy and dad to a beautiful, perfect little girl. This morning our temporary daughter’s birthparents changed their minds, and we gave her back to them.
In adoption parlance, it’s called a disruption. That’s when a placement goes haywire and adoptive parents have to return a child that they had grown to love and cherish back to the birthparents.
Nevermind that we’ve invested time and money and love into (temporarily) caring for this baby that we hoped would be our forever child, the ball is always in the birthparents’ court (as it should be) until termination papers are signed. If for whatever reason the birthparents decide against signing, and ultimately decide to parent their baby, then it’s game, set, match, and we’re left without the baby we
thought hoped would be ours forever.
What can I tell you about my temporary daughter? She is beautiful and perfect in every single way. I know busy daddy and I would have given her a wonderful life. But, alas, we weren’t meant to be her forever parents.
Chance and circumstance can be a bitch sometimes. By chance, and only for a brief five days, our hypothetical daughter became an actual living breathing one. But circumstance had other plans in mind, and just as quickly as she was ours, she was just as quickly not.
I wish I could say something profound about all of this, but I can’t. Bad things happen all of the time, and something bad happened to us. But I am an optimist, albeit a very sad one right now. I know our daughter (or our son) is out there. I’m just waiting for the stars and the fates to realign so that we can find each other.
- robot-heart likes this
- ericaadopts likes this
- lettersforharper likes this
- mybrainexplode likes this
- theymightbeclippy likes this
- ourbeachbaby likes this
- amommytofour likes this
- ilovebean likes this
- bageldreams likes this
- whoopeewui said: my heart to you lazydad
- crazimomi likes this
- spiralkitten likes this
- piggyvonninja likes this
- the-diary-of-alexandreta likes this
- llmbandgcb said: I don’t know how I missed this but I am very sorry to hear. Thinking of you all!! Xo
- mylifewithbowie said: Oh, lazydad, I’m so so sorry to hear this. I can’t image how difficult this was for all three of you. I know that I’m just some stranger who reads what you write on my computer, but please know that I’m pulling for you guys.
- murphybaby likes this
- keetchiemom likes this
- tumblingmommy likes this
- tumblingsofsupremegenius likes this
- jdotdances likes this
- tams77 likes this
- zaniac likes this
- shortcake7502 likes this
- somedaymom likes this
- mediocremommy said: I’m so sorry….
- mediocremommy likes this
- neuroticdad likes this
- taryntothemax likes this
- differentforgirls said: This is very and sad, and you have written about it so beautifully. Your baby girl/boy is out there and soon you will make perfect forever parents for them. Your family is truly beautiful. Loves xoxox
- plummum likes this
- remember-thelight likes this
- yellowonesdontstop said: This broke my heart (and Kelly’s). Your son clearly takes after his fathers: Your second child will come.
- yellowonesdontstop likes this
- kvknowsherfun likes this
- kvknowsherfun said: My heart breaks for you lazy/busy family.
- mollysueschwarz likes this
- cheskamarielmendoza likes this
- judeabouttown likes this
- amipregnant said: This sucks! I’m sorry.
- amipregnant likes this
- thekidhasarrived likes this
- momlyfe likes this
- thisismyotherface likes this
- ourminijourney said: Your little girl is waiting, you’ll find each other very soon.
- hawaiianmommy said: I’m so sorry Kipp.
- mykidsmaybecrazy said: I’m not so good at words, but…So much love for your family, will be thinking of you guys…
- ourlittlealaskanfamily likes this
- weekenddeejay said: Can’t imagine. But know that’s what meant to be will be.
- ourlittlealaskanfamily said: My heart breaks for you guys. Sending you love