We live with the false premise in this country that in order to be “fair and balanced,” both sides of an argument must always be heard. This is especially true on the “news,” where the so-called objective media will present the opposing opinions of every (and any) two-bit moron as a way to demonstrate the outlet’s lack of bias.
This tactic is utterly deceptive and only widens the gulf between disparate points of view. Those on one side of the argument will support and cheer their avatar, while ridiculing the opposition’s paper tiger, and vice versa. It’s a vicious cycle.
I see this construct a lot when people talk about the gays (or circumcision or breast-feeding or co-sleeping or whatever). Invariably there will be someone who says the gays (or foreskins or boobs or co-sleepers) are awesome, while someone else will say the gays (or foreskins or boobs or co-sleepers) are all going to hell. Sure, everyone has the right to his or her own opinion, but the simple truth of the matter is that people who spout bigoted, ignorant ideology are wrong. Plain and simple. They have the right to their own opinions, of course, but they are wrong. And we should stop pretending that they aren’t.
I follow nearly 600 blogs on Tumblr. Seriously, that’s a lot of blogs to follow. Surprisingly, by and large, there is very little drama on my dash. I’m not talking about personal drama, which is fine and worthy of posting, or rants against “the Man” or “the Machine” or “people,” which I totally support, too. I’m talking about the kind of idiotic, barely thought-through rambles of People Who Are Wrong against fellow Tumblrers and friends.
Seems like a lot of People With Wrong Opinions felt compelled to post all of their moronic shizz today. On behalf of myself (and myself alone), I’d like to say to you: Shut the fuck up. Your opinion is wrong. I respect your right to have the your own (wrong) opinion, but it is wrong, and I, for one, will no longer patronize you to make you feel better about your wrong self. Do us all a favor and STFU.
- mannythemanny likes this
- marysdottir likes this
- nikkidoughnuts likes this
- chaosopher likes this
- jimnasium likes this
- wescwes reblogged this from metaphysicist
- khalid052479 likes this
- the-diary-of-alexandreta likes this
- lawrenceeee likes this
- mylifewithbowie likes this
- melanijade likes this
- daisyduke1018 reblogged this from lazydad
- momfarts likes this
- thesassyprince likes this
- judeabouttown likes this
- electradaddy likes this
- beingethan reblogged this from lazydad
- daysofthedad likes this
- beingethan likes this
- taekwonjew likes this
- ahumdrumtown likes this
- sklail likes this
- clockworkedmadness likes this
- cameramasmommy likes this
- mamamusement likes this
- viaukraine likes this
- thegoddamnfruitbat likes this
- holly-da-zombiemommy likes this
- militarydadblog said: Wow! It looks like we’ve had very similar days. My dash has actually been greatly reduced today.
- needle likes this
- kvknowsherfun likes this
- magmom likes this
- uglypuss likes this
- 6impossible said: I have no idea how you keep up with 600 blogs.
- somamasays likes this
- mywildloves likes this
- mywildloves said: I havent even read the post yet but the screen shot you got of this woman is enough for me to love it already. You fucking ROCK!!!
- mamato2boysand1girl likes this
- aniesadventures likes this
- 6impossible likes this
- curiousmama said: Agree. Wait, you follow almost 600 blogs?? wew!
- curiousmama likes this
- oxymoronicromantic likes this
- areallifegrownupmom likes this
- ihatelaundry likes this
- mommywrites likes this
- thedefinitionofmycharacter likes this
- designingdaddy likes this
- brianeno29 likes this